Thursday, April 16, 2009

Collecting eggs

So it was a very tense day here in the Old City. The jewish Passover ended last night and it's Simchat Torah today. Unfortunately the call for jews to enter the Dome of the Rock (where the ancient Temple used to stand) today to pray has raised alarm among the muslims who began to protest. Police everywhere, soldiers too. Terrible tense. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1239710704144&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

And today is also Maundy Thursday for the Orthodox. They're packing the Old City - those little old ladies with their foldable chairs. To prevent another annual fight among the various Orthodox communities and their processions, police are also out in full force in the Holy Sepulchre. It looks terrible, riot police with guns and shields inside a church. I wanna get a photo of it!

And I haven't quite slept off my exhaustion. I'm a zombie shuffling between the library and my room and the courtyard of the canaries. This morning Majed our watchman and Jadallah brought me to our hidden garden - it's a piece of property behind our monastery that's always locked up. It's really big, almost an entire block of open space surrounded by a greek orthodox church on the east and houses on all other sides. And .... Majed has decided to keep chickens in there. There're about 8 of them and about a dozen chicks. This morning we went to collect eggs - 6 in all, pretty small but considering what little the hens get to eat, it's a miracle. I'll boil 3 for the canaries to eat tomorrow and maybe I just might fry one for myself later ( or rather early in the morning like 3am, that's the only time i get to use the students' kitchen in the school).

Meantime the zombie is getting back to what zombie's do... which is whatever that's done in true blue braindead fashion.