Sunday, April 26, 2009

3rd Sunday of Easter

Yesterday was another day of strange weather - the sun was up and hot but the wind was freezing cold, like between 17-20 degrees. Many people are coming down with flu and cold as a result. And it's very draining - it makes everyone so tired and listless. I tried to do some reading and writing in the morning (after the 40 minute cleaning of the 5 bird cages; which by the way there're 13 eggs among the canaries now) but was so tired I slept after lunch for half an hour. Got up and went off to the Holy Sepulchre at 3pm, but decided to stay on and help in the sacristy. The inauguration of the new Curia building (that's the central admin. building of the friars here in the Holyland) was at 6.30pm so I went there at 5.45pm with Alessandro, an italian lay volunteer. He's leaving in June.

The new curia building is very beautiful. It's simple in design, but clean and linear, with stone and wood as its charateristic material. It's also bright, with lots of skylights in order to save on electricity and lots of solar panels as well.

After that there was a barbeque in the terrace of the new curia building. It was simple but great food, with about some 100 friars from around the Holyland gathered - so the company was great. But the colc wind was blowing and I was getting sick so I left for home early.

Then this morning at 4am I went to the Holy Sepulchre to celebrate Mass. It was relatively quiet but definitely cold.

Well thus passes the 3rd weekend of Easter. The readings are still recalling the resurrection experience of the apostles and how they responded to it. What does Christ's resurrection mean to you? Please don't turn to those fast talking preachers for answers - man, you won't get any more wrong!

Right now I'm listening to Joseph Prince on the internet - and the garbage he churns out ... oh please learn so theology and church history and biblical languages. It's incredible how many people actually believe his mistakes. Take this one which he's speaking right now - he says Matthew is symbolised by the lion, Mark by the bull, Luke by the man and John by the eagle. Anyone who knows church history and liturgical symbolism knows how wrong he is. And he's been bashing the church about walking in the wilderness of ritualism and manmade laws for 1000 years until God sent Martin Luther to bring the victim laity to the promised land of grace and salvation.