2 nights back I was unable to sleep and so at 2am I got up to do some reading. Couldn't concentrate much, so decided to watch EWTN on the net. Saw my old acquaintance Fr Rosica (He lived next door at Ecce Homo 15 years ago when I was also studying here; but I doubt he can remember me) presenting a short documentary on the life of St. Gianna Molla (1922-1962) - mother and doctor. Very inspiring. When she had her 4th child, it was discovered that she suffered from some problem that was life-threatening. It was recommended that she abort the baby in order to save her own life. But she refused. She insisted on saving the baby instead. The baby was born and she died a few days later. At her canonisation in Rome, her 4 children and husband were there - very touching and rare for living relatives of a saint to be present. I think the last time was the mother of St. Maria Goretti present at her daughter's canonisation.
What was inspiring was the fact that she was a normal working mother, taking care of kids while her husband was abroad in America to work. She was also a professional doctor in pediatrics. A working mother. How many of us can relate to her! Led by her faith that the good of others came before her own, she sacrificed her life in order to let her baby Giannina live.
Two miracles were worked through her intercession - a Brasilian woman who was dying at childbirth and a Brasilian baby born without amniotic fluid (the atheistic doctor converted to the faith at this miracle).
So all working mothers, childbearing mothers, doctors ... you have a great patron saint who shared your pains and joys. St. Gianna Molla, pray for us.
Check out http://www.saintgianna.org/main.htm