Friday, November 7, 2008

Rahmbo is in.

Obama's message to Israel is loud and clear - he appointed his first official, as the Chief of Staff, Rahm Israel Emmanuel. Young, tough, no nonsense: Rahm ("Rahmbo" - he served in the Israeli army as a volunteer during the Gulf War) is known for his astuteness and staunch jewishness (see http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1225910057970&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull and http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1225910047157&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull ) Well Israeli news did not lose that and picked it up immediately. But I wonder what that signals to the arab world.

Yesterday as I was coming home from the New City, there were hundreds of soldiers at Damascus Gate. Looked like they were ready to stake out for long period because everyone had their dufflebags, food and even mattocks. Then I found out that there was a riot in Silwan (biblical Siloam and its pool - immediately south fo the Old City) because Israeli police tore down 2 illegal arab houses. Then much later I found out that north of the Old City another huge arab demonstration was taking place (I passed by there only hours before) to protest the building of an Israeli museum over an arab cemetary. Well you can imagine the security going around here. helicopters were flying above all afternoon.

Will have to teach a VC class now and then start work again on my paper. Our Minister General (that's the international head of our Order) is arriving this evening and I hear he's coming over to our place for dinner. He's here to open our school year but also to celebrate the 700th anniversary of Blessed John Duns Scotus, our 13th century Franciscan who upheld the Primacy of Christ and the Immaculate Conception - and consequently condemned and relegated to the back-waters of Theology until last century when the Pope declared Mary as the Immaculate Conception and hence exonerated Scotus; who eventually was beatified and his cause to sainthood is in progress. Tomorrow is his 700th anniversary of his death - so say a pray. He might just intercede a miracle for you .... who knows?