Sunday, November 30, 2008

1st Sunday of Advent

Have not been feeling well - probably because of the cold. I wanted to go to the Holy Sepulchre as usual but when I woke up at 3am to prepare myself, I found my shoulders were very painful, all the way down the spine. So I stayed in bed till 5.30am and then went down to our own chapel for Mass.

1st Sunday of Advent today. The readings remind us to prepare, to await, to keep vigil.... for the 2nd coming of the Messiah. The first Advent candle was burnt today in our chapel. The atmosphere is setting in, and Christmas is going to be special for us here - in Bethlehem. Wish you got be here too.

Fr Vincenzo was over for lunch today. I asked him to help me get books on Hellenisation in Egypt. Hopefully he'll find something. My research has to do with that period of Egyptian history. Work is going ahead, but slowly as it is really very difficult. But like the Dean said, I learn alot while struggling through this difficult text, so it's worth it.