Thursday, June 27, 2024

Zinnia

My blossoming zinnia
 What a busy week. Trying to meet datelines and doing small errands. Luckily the weather has cooled and it's around 22 degrees in the evenings, nights and mornings so it's pleasant to walk to and from work. During the day it hits above 30 degrees but I'm indoors so I'm not affected.

Sometime in late Spring I scattered zinnia seeds along the grass shoulders of the tram way that runs along Damascus Gate park. That's the daily route I take going to and from work. Several zinnias have sprouted and even blossomed. Unfortunately someone found it out and stole 5 plants away. There are still a dozen growing in spots difficult to reach and they're blossoming. It's great! It brings in a splash of colour to an otherwise boring silver of the lavender bushes that have tiny flowers, so small they're almost invisible.

These were stolen
Each time I pass by the park I look out for the 3 bulbuls that I hand-reared and released there. No sign of them. They must be happily flying far away enjoying their freedom. I'm glad I brought them up and released them as they're becoming a threatened species. Invasive foreign species of crows and mynahs have wiped out their numbers by eating their eggs and chicks, and competing for food.

I understand summer camp has already started in some schools and associations. In this tough economic times and the war, not many families can afford to send their children to these camps. It gets quite expensive.