Sunday, June 16, 2024

Feast

Kids having fun
The weather is so hot ... the kids have decided to play in the public fountains at Damascus Gate. There're clear signs that it's forbidden ... but it was just too hot and everyone was happy the children were having fun. No one stopped them. Not even the police and municipality workers who stood by to watch that no accidents happen. That's a little humanity.

It's 33 degrees today .. at least that's what the weather stations are saying. But it really feels like 40 degrees. It's scorching. I wonder how the muslims are enjoying the Eid al Adha in this heat. Most are probably indoors with aircons on. But in the evenings when it gets cooler, very many people are out in the streets. Temporary stalls and hawkers are making brisk business. Though not many can afford to buy much nowadays, still a kilo of cherries or a stick of cotton candy will cheer up the kids and some adults as well. I guess few people can afford to buy a sheep for the sacrifice. But everyone makes do with what they have. Times are hard. Celebrations can be toned down.

Fun at the fountain
I was planning to go out later in the evening yesterday to see the busy streets and clowns and performers ... but I was so tired from work I fell straight to sleep. That's this entire week I've been floored by exhaustion and heat. I guess that's why I found it so refreshing to see the kids having so much energy and fun in the fountains, with adults cheering them on .... I wish I had the same energy and fun.