Sunday, June 23, 2024

Holidays

Mounted police
The summer holidays have started.  Suddenly there are no rush of students in buses and trams. No traffic jams at the City Gates when parents try to drive their cars into the very limited space inside the Old City so that their children can be nearer to school. I'm not sure if summer camps will go ahead as the financial situation for many families are not the best or even normal. It's generally tense though liveable ... police sometimes come in droves and sometimes the streets are empty of police. You never know when. Shops selling sandwiches and snacks to students will have less business. However tourists are coming back ... yesterday there were groups from Brazil, Philippines, Italy and Latin America. Hopefully more groups will come in late summer and autumn. People here really need the business otherwise next year the financial situation will become dire for many.

The weather is a little cooler ... about 28 degrees during the day and 19 degrees in the night. And there's a cool easterly wind blowing yesterday which made walking home form work tolerable. I'm sure the 3 bulbuls are finding the weather conducive for hunting insects and finding scraps of food left by picnickers in the park. I've been hoping to catch a glimpse of them each morning I go to work but they're not around. There're lots of pigeons, sparrows, mynahs, crows and other small birds but no sign of my mojo trio.