Thursday, April 20, 2023

Surprise

St. Paul de Chartres
sisters praying the WoC
It was a wonderful surprise when the Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres from Sydney and Brisbane came to make the Way of the Cross. I've known Sr. Anne Catherine and Sr. Angelina for well over 20 years. All the other sisters are young Vietnamese missionaries whom I don't know. I remember their lovely convent in Mossvale, and Goldie their lovable golden retriever. But it was also sad to hear that most of their other sisters and our common friends have since passed on. Anyway it was very good to have met them.

Two rapid tests have shown negative results for Covid but the doc warned that these kits may not be able to detect XBB. My throat is still sore, no voice, fever and slight reddening of the eyes. I still wear the mask outside my room. This has been very disappointing since tomorrow is the end of Ramadan and I really wanted to walk around Damascus Gate and see the festivities before it ends. And even taste the Ramadan goodies which will soon stop being made. Now I'm stuck mostly at home, watching the festivities happen below my window. My feet and hand are still swollen. The medication is not working. And I still suffer from chest pains. 

There was no report of violence or clashes yesterday. That's a relief. However the israeli protests against the govt's bill to control the judiciary continue into its 16th week ... with no sign of it abating. Soldiers refused to report for service when their leader was dismissed. This is the tactic of the govt: remove anyone who opposes the govt. This has only led to more public outrage and civil disobedience. The country is leading to another implosion.