Sunday, August 14, 2022

Tragedy

Last night's fighting
 The past few days appeared calm after the ceasefire was declared, but last night a new level of violence erupted in the Old City. At 11.30pm two group of Arabs were fighting in front of our main gate. It was quite violent and the police arrived only 20 minutes later. Arrests were made. Not quite sure what it was all about. I think there was an accident between 2 motorcycles .... but it included a woman who was screaming non-stop and was finally arrested and handcuffed. Another man was arrested. One motorbike was lying in the middle of the street while another was thrown agains the wall. A car and its driver was also affected. The driver had to be rushed to hospital. 

I was still awake and went up on our terrace to see what happened and took some photos. Luckily only stones and iron bars were used ... no guns. I was up on the 5th floor and I could have been shot by a stray bullet. 

And that was just the start. Within an hour, a deadly shooting took place at the Wailing Wall. The gunman escaped but many were wounded. A manhunt was ordered but right now we learn that the gunman surrendered himself to the police with his weapon. Otherwise the entire village would have been searched and punished collectively.

Yesterday afternoon newspapers report that a man had strangled his nephew. The boy died this morning. Tragic.  It seems this summer is as violent as it is hot. Let's hope it'll end soon.