![]() |
| Sunset in Jaffa |
However the heat is atrocious so I stay in my room mostly .... to sleep. For the past days I sleep over 12 hours a day to recuperate. Well as much as possible ... because war has started between Gaza and Israel. For 2 days now missile sirens have been sounded here. One exploded 1km away in Bat Yam south of where I live. It was loud and it shocked us because it was at 9pm. Everyone is on the alert here because Jaffa is only 68 km away from Gaza and is within striking range of missiles.
It's summer and very hot and many people are at the beaches along Jfaa's coast. But each time sirens sound, everyone runs off to take shelter. The Israeli army says its planned attacks on Gaza will last a week ... so we expect a week's instability and sirens. Not a very nice rest and recuperation. But that's the way it is here. This morning I read from the news that missies were also aimed at Jerusalem and sirens there were also sounded. That's because it's the jewish fasting day of Tisha B'Av and the police have allowed extremist groups to enter the AL Aqsa compound where the jewish Temple once stood. Tisha B'Av commemorates the destruction of the temple wits in history, once by the Babylonians in 587BC and again in 70Ad by the romans. Muslims in the mosque see it as a provocation. Well I'm glad I'm not in Jerusalem today. Too much tensions. Too much stress.
