Thursday, June 23, 2022

Kids have fun

Kids in the public fountain
 Gastric flu is everywhere. Over a dozen in the monastery where I work. I was down with it myself. 3 days of fever and vomiting and diarrhea. I was very weak but not as bad as some who had to be hooked up to a drip. Still it made me very ill and I could hardly sleep or walk about. I was just at the pharmacy to buy medicines for the MC sisters in Bethlehem when the pharmacist told me to take probiotics. I bought a bottle and took one pill already. Then I was told to bring lots of water.

Meantime daily Covid infections have gone up to over 10,000. Serious cases requiring hospitalization have also risen sharply. I'm wearing my mask all the time, and people make nasty remarks, even among priests who caught Covid and spread it to others. Abominable.

The weather is at a stable 30 degrees during the day and a cool 22 degrees at night with a lovely breeze. I had to work very hard yesterday and today despite my gastric flu, running around different places in the City to get visas done for sisters who are coming to work here. They're from France and India so they need to be done in different offices. I can only walk slowly as my legs and hips are giving me trouble. But I do my job ... though it's not my responsibility. The relevant superiors are too lazy and indifferent to do it. I'm really doing a favour. 

Well it's so hot during the day, kids from the neighbourhood are playing in the public fountains. Adults look enviously as they too would like to join in. Though it's illegal to play in the fountains and the police statio n is literally 2 metres away from it, the police close an eye and let the poor children play. They can't afford to go to summer camps with swimming pools, and unable to travel to Tel Aviv to enjoy the beach; so this is their only way to play in a body of water. I hope they'll continue to enjoy throughout this summer ... with no more violence in the streets.