Sunday, May 15, 2022

Sandstorm ... again

Sandstorm this morning
 What a terrible sandstorm! Yesterday and this morning very strong winds blew desert sand into the country. I was choking even in my room. The night sky was yellowish-red and the air was warm and stifling. Nobody could sleep well last night. Tomorrow I'll have to wash the terrace with water to flush away the sand collecting there.

Yesterday night was very quiet, like Friday night. Usually the streets are bustling with muslims coming out of prayers and shops are busy selling goods, and restaurants packed with people. But after the disturbing burial of the murdered journalist on Friday, everyone stayed at home. Afraid of riots and attacks. And saddened by the death of a popular journalist who brought the plight of the palestinians for 24 years. The people have lost a voice.

Today is Nakba Day when palestinians commemorate the Israeli takeover of their land. Well commemorate is only what they can do. They're too disunited and lack any resources to reclaim the land. After 74 years, they haven't learned the lesson that unity is power. 

I've been terribly sleepy and tired in the afternoons because of the hot, sleepless nights. Am very distracted as well. That's difficult when I need to concentrate on teaching a class or correcting papers. And my feet swell badly when I get home in the night. And I continue to take a whole load of medicines in the morning and evenings. It tastes terrible and makes me lose my appetite. Maybe just eating the sand from the sandstorm is enough to keep me full.