Saturday, May 21, 2022

Another sandstorm

Sandstorm now
Another sandstorm today. Te sky is all yellow and dusty from sand blown in from Saudi Arabia. People are wearing masks to prevent breathing in the very fine dust. And the air is hot and dry. It's a very uncomfortable feeling and one get's tired very easily. We've been having sandstorms almost every week now. Climate change is affective us big time.

These days the streets are very quiet and empty of people. Even today which is the muslim and jewish weekend, Damascus Gate should be very crowded and shops would be open and bustling with business. But I noticed on my way home that almost all the shops are closed by 5pm and very few people are in the streets. Maybe it's the violent clashes of the past weeks. Maybe it's the heavy police presence everywhere. Maybe it's the sandstorm. 

And talking about violent clashes, this morning a 17 yr old arab was shot dead in Jenin during a police raid, the same refugee camp where our catholic journalist was killed last week. For sure tonight there'll be demonstrations and riots again in our street after the night prayer in the mosque. The fighting is raising tensions in our Quarter and it's no longer safe to walk alone in the alleys there.

Walking home used to easy for me but these past few months I realise I am alot weaker. I can't walk the 1km downhill home now. When I reach Damascus Gate which is 500m away, my legs turn to jelly. I get dizzy and need to sit. Then my legs can't carry me. When I reach Herod's Gate with difficulty, I begin to feel faint. I need to sit before I fall over and hurt myself ... and get robbed by the people there. Walking home is a challenge now and I struggle very much. My students here are preparing for my death ... to do all the practical stuff.