Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Pear harvest

Pears ripening on the trees
The heatwave is back ... it hit 36 degrees this afternoon with no wind blowing. And the sun scorches the skin. I had to go to Bethlehem to bring 8 sacks of clothes and some other aid to the MC convent in Bethlehem. The sun was relentless beating down into the car I was travelling in. There was no way escaping it.

Visiting the MC convent is always great. Old Sr. Kolbe baked some doughnuts for me to eat. We discussed some school sponsorship cases and how we might help them. The Covid lockdown has destroyed the tourism industry, which majority of Bethlehemites depend on. Many families cannot afford to send their children to school or pay for books and uniforms. It's very tragic. Families struggle to pay rent, food, water and electricity.

The 1st 2 pears harvested
The pears in the sisters' orchard are ripening and I was asked to help harvest the first crop. What an honour!!! The pears are not very big but they're ripening in a nice red-gold shade. I'll wait for them to soften and then taste if they're sweet.

Israel is preparing for another major clash with Gaza in the south. Military equipment and personnel are gathering at the border after one soldier was seriously wounded and one Gaza killed a few days back. Right now Gazans are protesting at the border fence. I also noticed more police are being deployed here inside the Old City. No doubt it's a preparation for the coming Jewish High Holy Days that will start net week and run for 4 weeks. I'll stay out of trouble by staying home.