Thursday, August 5, 2021

Heatwave

Summer fruit
 The heatwave hit 36 degrees today and the sweltering humidity was so oppressive I think most people chose to stay indoors. The only crowded place I saw today was at the Clalit clinic where I had to go for some tests. It was quite packed there ... the only place in the tension-torn City where Jews, Muslims and Christinas intermix and unite because of illness. Now I'll just have to wait for the results.

With the heatwave - which is causing forest fires in Greece, Turkey and Italy - farmers here are harvesting their fruit quickly before they shrivel in the heat; and village women are bringing them into the City to be sold. Prices are falling due to the surfeit of produce ... there's delicious mangoes and lychees in abundance. Grapes are also being sold though it's not quite the season yet. They're not sweet. Figs though are in their prime. I might just buy some tomorrow. 

Bedouin fruit on sale
Newspaper reports hint that the govt. might enforce a 2 month lockdown in the last week of August or 1st week of September. And it will be severe in order to stamp out the Delta surge. This Sunday compulsory mask-wearing will be enforced indoors and outdoors ... restrictions in the number of participants, shoppers or worshippers. It'll be back to total lockdown again. In one way I'm happy the govt is taking serious action on 2000+ new infections each day ... but to be locked indoors again will be quite unbearable for many shop owners.

Yesterday saw Lebanon firing some missiles into Israel. And Israel responded immediately. Now threats are being exchanged between the border. I hope it doesn't deteriorate any further. I'm not having a great summer health wise, nor can I have a vacation  because our house in Jaffa is fully booked, and there's a heatwave, a possible 2 month lockdown predicted ... I'm not ready for a war.