Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Excursion

Carmelites and MC sisters meet
 Despite the heatwave (36 degrees) and my general poor health, I brought 15 MC sisters to visit Nazareth as they requested. It was quite a drama in the beginning as the main group gathered at Damascus Gate ready to board our coach. The second group however coming from Bethlehem was stuck because there was a traffic accident in the tunnel. After waiting half and hour, I decided we go to Nazareth and told the second group to get there on their car as soon as they can. We'll meet up at the Basilica of the Annunciation. We wanted to visit the sites recalling St. Joseph ... since this year is dedicated to him.

Our first group first stopped by the village of El Bireh and visited the ruins of the Crusader church recalling Joseph and Mary meeting up and realising the boy Jesus was missing. It's a little-known church but full of biblical significance. The sisters enjoyed seeing it ... we prayed there.

Crusader church in El Bireh
When we reached Nazareth, it was already 11am. We went to pray at the Annunciation Basilica and then walked to the House of St. Joseph but it was closed. Nevertheless we prayed out side and read the Gospel. After that at 1pm we went up to the Carmelite Monastery where the nuns made a lovely sandwich lunch. The nuns baked their own bread. We were there till 3pm after celebrating Mass as well. Then we went up the Mt of Precipice to recall where the Nazareans tried to push Jesus down the cliff, 

By the time we got home, it was 7pm. I was exhausted and felt very sick. But at least the MC sisters got to visit some of the Josephite places. They work very hard and have little opportunities to go visit the sanctuaries.  Anyway I was so exhausted I had no appetite and couldn't sleep till midnight. Today I am trying to rest.