Thursday, November 5, 2020

Winter storm

Storm over Bethlehem
 One of the biggest storms we've had all year ... floods in the southern cities and desert. Jerusalem being up in the mountains, was hit by the storm till last night and today. Strong winds and heavy rain brought the temperature down to 13 degrees during the day. Everyone had sweaters and woollen clothes on. It felt like the middle of winter. I had to use my small heater last night as I was shivering in the early morning hours.

I had to go to Bethlehem this morning to bring food and money to M. Teresa's sisters. Our seminarians had helped me bring 6 bags of winter clothes to them yesterday. They were too heavy for me to carry alone. Their convent had no electricity due to the storm. But after one minute after my arrival, it came back on. What a relief! We had Mass and I asked the sisters for some rose cuttings. The rose plants I gave them several years ago have huge blooms .... very healthy. I wanted to plant them in pots in my house now ... a sort of return home for the roses. The sisters also cooked chapati for me to celebrate my feast day next week. That was nice of them. I might stop by again next week to bring more winter clothes

Bethlehem street in rain
The streets in Bethlehem were packed with people, shops and hawkers plying their trade despite the storm. Some people wore masks but majority did not. Distancing is an impossibility in the narrow packed streets. No wonder the infection rate there is very high. In fact the main checkpoint to enter Bethlehem from Israel is closed. There is a danger that carriers from the town might enter Jerusalem and cause another spike in the infection. I had to enter Bethlehem from another village 3 kms south and returned to Jerusalem through the desert route passing Shepherds Field.   

The weekend is forecast to see sunny weather again. Strangely I hope it won't last too long. It's winter and rain and snow is part of Christmas.