 |
Altar of our cemetery
|
What a storm we had last night. It wasn't as strong as last winter's but the lightening show was spectacular. And low thunder rumbling in the background as well. In the southern desert there was hail, and the lowland deserts were flooded by rain flowing from the cities in higher ground. Let's hope it rains and rains as much as possible ... it'll make up for the last 15 years of drought.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/storms-batter-south-and-center-of-israel-flooding-some-roads/?fbclid=IwAR2HM-qqGSbO_oz1ijgy-b2_DRPaFCFlG01aqK7LH_ANESEeBwjIlJOp4Uc |
Oscar Schindler's tomb
|
It's All Souls Day today. Immediately after Mass, I went to our Catholic Cemetery to pray and bless the tombs of our friends and confreres. It's over 1km south of the Old City, along the slopes of the Hinnom Valley. The ground was wet and muddy from last night's rain. Our indian sisters came along with me, as well as our retired cook Nadia and Abraham, our filipino student-priest. I went first to the tomb of our chinese friend who's ashes are buried here. He had always wanted to visit the Holy Land but died before he could. Then next to him is our cook who died 10 months ago. Then blessing the relatives of Nadia and our other workers. Then I went to bless the armenian catholic tomb further up the slope. After that, I brought the sisters to our franciscan cemetery up on Mt. Zion, some 100 meters uphill. There are buried many of my professors and friars whom I've known for the past 30 years. It was good to recall some memories of them. Anyway it was flowers and holy water all round. Lastly we visited the tomb of Oscar Schindler. And if you don't know him yet ... shame!
Virus infection rates have risen by a 100+ and experts are worried it's going to be another spike after a months lockdown. It was going good ... from 9000 to 500. But with the reopening of schools, it spells bad news. Schools were the prime cause of the 2nd outbreak.
My legs have been giving me problems for the last week. Swollen and feeling like logs. Sharp pain at every step I take. I feel like I cannot walk anymore. And with the high humidity these days, I get asthma easily. So walking to work is now a severe trial. It takes me almost 40 minutes to slowly make the journey ... which for the younger guys, a mere 10 minutes suffice. Perhaps my time is near .... All Souls Day is a good reminder.