Saturday, October 17, 2020

Slow by slow

Tree in middle
of road
 Wow the infection rate dropped to 1,900 yesterday ... or maybe even lower. That's great news. Tomorrow the 1km limit for leaving the house will be lifted for us ... but it's still in effect for some red zone areas. Let's hope we learn from the past mistakes ... don't be over-confident, don't reopen too quickly and keep tracing and trekking. The last one is Israel's greatest weakness ... not because it's not capable ... Israel's tracing system is the best in the world. It just isn't ready to use it on its own citizens. And of course there's the ultra-orthodox community which wields immense power despite its small demographic size, and some are vigorously against all health measures. One newspaper says the reopening of some zones and institutes were forced by this group. 

The whole situation reminds me of a road between Independence Park and the pedestrian Ben Yehuda Mall. A beautiful well engineered road ... with an enormous tree right in the middle. You can't move it ... it's just there. What you can do is work around it.   https://www.timesofisrael.com/fears-of-revolt-said-to-lead-govt-to-okay-school-openings-in-haredi-hotspots/?fbclid=IwAR0fMFXoiqUlBZdWtE5iQ_TVS1n9OjSkzj0x-5MxjHEJVnnl-sNhxKnG4OA

Winter continues to creep in ... last night was 16 degrees. Quite chilly. I just realised why I couldn't sleep well these past nights ... it was too chilly. I've been terribly tired the whole week as I've had alot to do during the day ... so sleepless nights are making things worse. 

I had a visit from 2 of my armenian seminarians this morning. They're twins. They were in Greece for a year studying the language. Now they speak better greek than I. And later I had to bring a sister to the phone shop because the battery in her phone died ... it was the first time in 6 months I went to that area of Musrara. Took advantage by going to the bakery and met the owner Antonio, an arab who grew up in Italy and speaks perfect italian. We chatted and laughed alot. I promised to go back when the lockdown measures are lifted. It was good to meet all these people .... it seems that life is getting back to normal again ... a little at a time. Slow by slow.