Monday, October 26, 2020

New Patriarch

Elderly worshippers
An insanely busy day today ... almost every hour I was responding to 3 different messages simultaneously. I barely had time to rest ... it was mentally exhausting. There was a lot of work in the General Library in the morning and then immediately at 2pm I had to rush off to East Jerusalem to buy a book a seminarian needed. Then it was back home to work in the other library before I ahd to go out to Damascus Gate to meet the seminarian and give him the book, and at the same time meet our korean friend who very kindly cooked bipimbap for me. Then a quick dash home to celebrate mass online for our chinese sisters. 

I had planned to study a chapter from a book today but I simply couldn't. Just too much to do and now too tired to do any reading. I'll have to wake up early tomorrow morning and catch up with my studies.

Yesterday while on my way to the New City I noticed 2 elderly muslim women walking the opposite way towards the Al Aqsa Mosque. It occurred to me that most muslims worshippers from outside Jerusalem are mainly elderly. And majority are women. Younger muslims no longer are coming. Perhaps it's the lockdown and police action stopping them. 

The computer system of the Health Ministry broke down on Saturday so for 2 days we didn't have any news as to the infection rate. Today a mere 500+ cases were reported. We're not sure if it's accurate ... but so long as they remain in 3 digits, we're happy. 

Our new Patriarch
At 1pm yesterday church bells rang all over the country. We have a patriarch! For 4 years it was sede vacante and our former Custos was nominated Apostolic Administrator. Yesterday the Vatican announced that he will be the new patriarch. Everyone was very happy as he is well-liked by most. Of course there's a little group that hoped it was an arab to be patriarch. Our Patriarch-designate is an italian. I for one felt terrible ... I know him too well. We were classmates 30 years back. He has suffered much these 4 years and now he will have to suffer for the rest of his life till his retirement. I know he's sad but his sense of service compels him to accept this mission. Pray for him.