![]() |
| JJ online |
It was work as usual this morning at the other office. As I walked through the alleys ... to avoid crowds and police ... I thought of the families behind those doors ... many infected with coronavirus. Social distancing is not an option ... there is simply no space in those tiny apartments, poorly ventilated with one or no windows. And without work, most families can't afford electricity for fans in this heat, food on the table or medicine for the sick. And of course there's the rent ot pay ... it's the first week of the month. This morning I had to go bring aid to one family ... a single mother with 4 schooling children, herself suffering from cancer. With no breadwinner, they face eviction from their tiny one room apartment. And they all are infected with Covid19. I went to meet the youngest daughter in the street to give her money for the rent otherwise they would be living out in the streets, getting sicker because of the virus and possibly spreading it to everyone.
There's a huge forest fire in the central part of the country. It's blamed on the heatwave ... well it's been 30+ degrees in some parts of the country and very dry ... unlike the humid cool nights that we have here up in the hills. Let's hope no one is hurt. Thousands however have been evacuated. It will not be a joyous end of Sukkot for them.
I've just realised how much bonded JJ and Buddy are to me after this 6 months lockdown. We've been together for almost everyday ... and they find it difficult when I leave the room. Separation anxiety. So now with a little more confidence, I bring them out to the corridor for a walk, or down to the refectory and even to my office. I think they enjoy that ... a little outdoor adventure.
