Thursday, September 26, 2019

Violence

Damascus Gate blocked
There was a stabbing this afternoon at 4pm. I was on my way to the MC convent for confessions and adoration when I reached Herod's Gate and found it shut. Lots of people were standing around waiting to get out but the police were not allowing anyone to leave the Old City. So I had to take the alleys and side-streets to reach the convent. The City gates were all closed so that terrorists cannot run out ... and a thorough search by the police made sure no potential harm is possible before the gates were reopened. That could take well over an hour.

Police chase away protestors
After the confessions and adoration at 7pm, I had to go to my office 1km uphill through Damascus Gate but found it was blocked by barriers. Police were checking people entering the Gate ... but those inside could freely leave. Security was really stringent. Then up on the road, there was a demonstration by arab youths chanting while a large posse of police and mounted police blocked the road. Chants continued louder and the police moved in to disperse the youth ... chasing them to the arab Central Bus Station. The youths re-gathered there and continued chanting and holding placards. I went on my way and didn't find out how it ended.

The tensions I mentioned yesterday have finally erupted. And it doesn't look good. With the Jewish New Year starting on Sunday ... this violence is bound to increase and Israeli police will even become more stringent. It will be a very unhappy winter.