Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Stromata

Homemade Lor Mai Gai
Yesterday was a very busy day. I had to go to the MC sisters in Bethlehem in the morning ... Mass, confessions, bible conference ... but had to rush back by 12.15pm because we had a farewell lunch for one of my ex-collaborators of the library. Going to Bethlehem is always nice ... it gives me a chance to get out of the Old City and away from the stressful situation. To avoid more attacks, I have to take the long route out of the City ... which for me is another 15 mins of walking uphill. The police called again to check on me if I was alright.

Chillbox fruit tart
Some Singaporean friends home cooked For Lai Gai during the weekend. And they came all the way from tel Aviv to give it to me. So kind of them. And the Lot Lai Gai was excellent. Loved it very much. And I also decided during the weekend to treat myself to a dessert at Chillbox the greek gelateria. Got myself a lovely fruit tart. Loved it.

There's some tension in the air as the jewish New Year closes in. Just a few minutes ago, crowds of muslims were marching and chanting in front of my house. I think it was a funeral cortege to bury a teenager killed in a scuffle but Israel refused to release his body till now. Not sure. There had been scuffles yesterday on the outskirts of Jerusalem. The tension is definitely building up.

And a coalition govt still eludes us as the 2 major parties cannot agree and the smaller parties refuse to work with either one of the former. It's complicated ... but I'm getting used to seeing the winner of the elections fail to form a govt and the loser actually becomes the ruling govt. It's a weird state of affairs. This unusual situation where 2 elections take place within a year and no ruling govt in the meantime is said to have been predicted by jewish kabbalist mystics. Read this article:  https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Netanyahu-Gantz-impasse-predicted-in-hidden-manuscript-of-leading-mystic-602670?fbclid=IwAR3gdxknxbQX-FnNfh58-AjqmrLEu5jUMiqcHVLKT2DrEN7_9aW6KeMwg9o