Monday, May 13, 2019

Twisted ankle

2 groups making the Way of the Cross,
another group already reached
3rd Station
Another crazy day starting at 4am ... You can't believe how many groups are making the Way of the Cross at that hour ... 8 groups this morning. Everyone wants to avoid the Ramadan crowds and vendor hassling and street blockades. The sun is up by then and the muslims are already praying the sunrise prayers. In a way it's good the christian groups started early ... it lightens the congestion on our street in the day when more christian groups and muslim pilgrims share the same road.

Last night I went to a muslim wake. One of our neighbours died. Only 40 yrs old. I paid my condolences to the family and had a cup of coffee. Dates were offered but I didn't eat any. There was small talk among the men who came and after 10 mins I left as I had a meeting at 9.30pm. After the meeting I was back at Damascus Gate and drama unfolded. Because the cavea of Damascus Gate was blocked off to prevent people from sitting, arab youths were unhappy and began toppling the metal barriers. Israeli police fired stun grenades into the crowd which rushed upwards to the main road. I was almost knocked over as the youths pushed their way out.

Plumes of tear gas last night
Later they obstructed traffic along the main road, and mounted police came to disperse them. More stun grenades and tear gas were fired ... and this cat-and-mouse game went on for half and hour. Looks like next week's Jerusalem Day and end of Ramadan feasts will be very explosive.

It was back to work today ... but it was so crazy I don't even want to talk about it. Suffice to mention the first event of rushing off to apply visas for our sisters, then rushing back to supervise the installation of a new elevator in the library ... and the workers never showed up. In the rush uphill and downhill 1km apart, I stumbled on a pothole and twisted my ankle .. the left one which was already injured. It was excruciating. Now all I need most is to rest ... and put some balm on the ankle.