Sunday, May 19, 2019

Contest over

Breaking the fast at Palm Plaza
The Eurovision Song contest is finally over ... last night ... well almost midnight. I wasn't the least interested ... not just because it's got no quality but it just reeks of occidental colonialism. Mind you that's pretty charitable if you compare with what some other guys here say ... they insist it's a diabolic satanic event. And of course there was no shortage of political baggage as well with lots of protestors in Tel Aviv calling for boycotts and sanctions against Israel. Well my objections are not along those lines, least of all against Israel. My bone to pick is the event itself. It's an all white event.

Coptic Bishop presides at Mass in
the Holy Sepulchre
It's Sunday ... I slept through the night because I wasn't ready for another night of arab fights and police blockades. Missed dinner but woke up at midnight feeling hungry ... so I ate a piece of fruit. The nights are now so hot ... about 20 degrees ... it's difficult to sleep. And of course the Ramadan feasting in the streets till 3am doesn't help. Today I had the armenian Mass at the 3rd Station. 5 seminarians from the Whote Fathers came to help and one armenian franciscan as well. The liturgy went on very well. I also got the chance to see the new Coptic Orthodox bishop presiding at the liturgy in the Holy Sepulchre. The liturgical organisation is now much more orderly ... the bishop has introduced some changes which are good and profitable to the people.

Meanwhile tensions continue to rise as we read that the High Court has permitted extremist jewish groups to pass through the Muslim Quarter on Jerusalem Day. For sure there will be violence as these groups every year vandalise our property and attack non-jewish residents. Not sure if the police will protect us if they can ... facing the massive throng.