 |
| Tsahal Square blocked off |
Yes it's the annual Jerusalem Marathon Day. And the whole western part of the City was closed down. No traffic .... but even pedestrians are not allowed to walk on the pathways and side-parks. That was bit too much. Arabs who need to go to work were turned back. I wanted to avoid this chaos so I went to my office at 5.30am but the streets and Palm Plaza were already blocked off. I managed to persuade the police to let me walk up to New Gate where my office is ... and having done some important paper work, I quickly walked home only to find Palm Plaza totally closed off and the police would not anyone go through. Arabs were protesting as they have to go to work on the other side of town ... and in the midst of the "negotiations" with the police, I managed to get a nod from the officer in charge to go through and back home through Damascus Gate. What unnecessary stress.
Anyway over 40,000 participants from 80 countries joined in the marathon. Incredible. Some of our students joined in the half-marathon. It was good to see them participant in local events instead of hiding in the library studying all day.
 |
| Crowds leaving the Al Aqsa mosque |
Last night was a horror for Tel Aviv as 2 missiles were fired from Gaza. Sirens sounded at 9pm and people were scurrying for shelter. Luckily the missiles landed in the sea. In the early morning Israel bombed 100 military sites in Gaza with no reported casualties. Gaza in response, fired 9 more missiles into nearby cities of Ashdod and Ashkelon. Well from reports today, the initial 2 missiles were mistakenly fired and not intended. Whatever it is, it raised tensions to a red alert. But it plays into the PM's election campaign ... which makes him a hero. Most newspapers and FB reactions are laughing and saying the only winner of this tension is the PM who'll win more votes in the coming general elections in 2 weeks time.
The expected riots at the Al Aqsa mosque today did not happen. Things were calm in the Old City. Thank goodness. I got over yesterday's total body ache and the fever has come down a little. But the fatigue is draining me. Thank goodness I didn't run at the marathon ... I'd end up worse than last.