Sunday, September 10, 2017

Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Basil and cross at
the sanctuary
Today we celebrated the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in anticipation ... the actual day is in 4 days time but people cannot come to church on a weekday. In typical armneian tradition, the cross was decorated with basil leaves and after the Mass there was the blessing of the basil. Strange? Well all Orthodox and Oriental churches celebrate the Feasts of the Holy Cross with basil because tradition says St. Helen discovered the True Cross under a bush of basil here in Jerusalem. I had been practising the blessing in armneian for 3 days now ... when the time came to do the blessing I messed it up. Was too nervous. Sang out of tune. But I guess nobody minded. I tried my best and Armenian is not my first, second or third languages. After the blessing, people came up to venerate the cross and brought home a sprig of the blessed basil. It's a nice tradition. We're supposed to be reminded of being basil in our everyday lives ... to exude fragrance and be a witness to the cross.

My former students
at the Mass
Today I had the rare occasion of meeting 2 of my former students from way back 16 years. One is now working in Australia and the other in Hong Kong. Both happened to be in Jerusalem for different reasons and we managed to meet up this evening. It was good they did not forget their teacher. During the Mass, one came to concelebrate while another student who studied with me last year served as deacon. It was a great moment.

Well I'm recovering from the dreadful allergic reaction. Am feeling better now but still am easily fatigued and nauseous. The new sisters in the kitchen ,,, who nursed me in hospital 5 years ago during my operation, were worried and brought me all kinds of food, It was very nice of them but I just could't eat. I just needed lots of fruit as my throat was very dry from the medication. I needed to quench my thirst.

Things are not looking good at the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate. Local arabs of the church are demanding the patriarch resign for upholding sale of church land to jews. Some have even filed for a court hearing.  https://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinians-call-for-ouster-of-greek-orthodox-patriarch/

And in a reversal of roles ... 2 jewish extremists attacked an arab bus driver and stoned the bus. They were arrested ... but I doubt they will be charged. These incidents seldom are charged. In fact it's 5 years now since our churches were burnt and vandalised by jewish terrorists but no one has ever been caught or charged.   https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5013983,00.html