Monday, September 18, 2017

Eve of Rosh HaShana

2 arabs arrested
Yesterday was a busy day so I couldn't blog ... but wasn't quite sure busy over what. It was running from one place to another .... "running" being a euphemism for shuffling. I guess I could simply say I'll rest at home. But there are some new students who arrived with nothing. I luckily received a small gift from benefactors and I went out to look for kettles, cups and other daily necessities to help these student get by the first few weeks of school. Then there were the poor who had (literally) no clothes ... the one they had on were all tattered and the nuns asked me for help so I went out to buying decent clothes to cover them up.

Anyway the jewish New Year begins on Wednesday sunset. It's called the Rosh Hashanah and it's one of the high Holy Days. No work is allowed. The country will shut down for one day ... at least for those who observe the Law of Moses. Most jews however would go out to barbecue and enjoy a family day. On the arab side of the country though .... military presence has been stepped up. Just an hour ago I witnessed the arrest of 2 arabs at Damascus Gate Park while on my way home from work. I think they're Palestinians who entered Israel without valid permits.

And yesterday saw one of the largest demonstrations and scuffles between the ultra-orthodox jews and the police. Talk about implosion. They were protesting the High Court's ruling to force the govt. to make a firm commitment whether or not to draft ultra-orthodox youths to the army. Well the thousands that got into the street ended up pretty violent. You must watch the videos to witness the level of aggression.  https://www.timesofisrael.com/violent-clashes-as-hundreds-of-ultra-orthodox-rally-against-idf-draft/   and   http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Eight-arrested-in-extremist-ultra-Orthodox-riots-over-enlistment-505325

And there were also violence when handicapped Israelis blocked a highway in protest for higher benefits as the cost of living and medical care has risen. Drivers were infuriated and one attacked a wheelchair bound lady. Talk about implosion.  http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Handicapped-activist-beaten-by-angry-driver-505312

And more implosion stories ... the chief rabbis are very quickly drawing ups list of jews who have no right to marry because their jewishness is in doubt. Apparently it mostly includes russian jewish immigrants. In effect these people cannot marry as jews and therefore their children have no right to citizenship. In fact these "jews" are being "un-jew" by these rabbis who doubt their religious affiliation. Suddenly Israel is filled with non-jews!! It's causing so much chaos ... but it's the Chief Rabbis' answer to the High Courts and non-ultra-orthodox jewish rabbis criticism of its monopoly in declaring who is a jew and who is not.  http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.812610

What a way to start the New Year which begins in 48 hours.