 |
Restored mosaics in the Bethlehem Basilica of the Nativity |
The past 2 days had been very busy. I had to give several conferences and confessions in various places. However I had the chance to visit the Nativity Basilica and the Milk Grotto while on one of these rounds in Bethlehem. I have not been to Bethlehem for a long while and especially by bus. It was a long ride down to the town of Beit Jallah and then a 1km walk to Bethlehem centre where the Basilica is. The Basilica itself is still under restoration. Most of its remaining mosaics on the have been cleaned and the gold is brilliant. However not much can been seen as the scaffoldings are still in place. There was not much of a crowd lining up to enter the Grotto of the birthplace so I went down and revered the spot where the Word was born and prayed for you all.
 |
Altar of the Milk Grotto |
Then I went to the Milk Grotto some 100 meters behind the Basilica. That's where the Holy Family was believed to have lived for 2 years before fleeing to Egypt. Tradition says the Virgin Mary while breastfeeding the Infant Jesus spilt a drop of milk and the entire cave turned white as a result. Since Byzantine times pilgrims came to gather the white chalk form the cave wall and drank it with water in the belief that it helps miraculously those who cannot conceive. Well it must be working because there is a hall filled with voice offerings and letters and photos from all around the world testifying to the birth of children otherwise scientifically thought impossible. I prayed for you all as well there.
Luckily there were no riots yesterday ... being Friday. It was rather calm and I took the bus back. The weather was hot though ... the heatwave from Europe has reached us and so temperatures were above 35 degrees. I found it very oppressive.
Int eh evening I had to organise a meeting between local catholic youths with a group of chinese youths. It was meeting to exchange experiences. I guess it went successfully off as I did not stay for the whole meeting. I was very exhausted. Well any thought of a holiday is pure fantasy has I still have 2 series of conferences to talk for the next 3 weeks, many more groups to meet in the evenings ... and the non-ending tedious meetings with banks and lawyers. I am working more than on normal working days.