Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Another sleepless night in Jerusalem

Looking down my window ...
major roadworks at 3.30am
You won't imagine this in your life ... but yes, the roadworks on our street starts at 10pm and ends at 5am. Jackhammers smashing up old paving stones, electric saws screeching to cut stones to size, 7 workers talking at the top of their voices, tractors that rumble like thunder .... all through 2am, 3am, 4am ... then the Muezzin starts singing the call to prayer ... and the workers try to compete. To all these, add the fact that it takes place less than 10 meters from my room. And they're going to do it all over again tonight. Kyrie eleison.

Tapestry of M.
Teresa
Today the Missionaries of Charity celebrate the foundation of their Society. They do such great work ... work which no one is willing to do; and in places nobody wants to go. They are true heroes. And you can help them. I celebrated the solemn Mass for them and had been preaching to them the past week. They gave me a tapestry of M. Teresa which is very beautiful. I showed it to the Archbishop (my classmate back in the 90s) and he loved it. But I'm not giving it to him. hahahahahahahahahahahna

After that I had to rush off to an important meeting and then work. I'd like to finish work early tonight and try to sleep early because by 10pm the roadworks will begin and I'll be awake till 5am tomorrow.  And the night has become chilly. I noticed people wearing pullovers in the evenings now .... wow ... autumn is early. I felt the chill last night at 3.30am when I just couldn't take the noise anymore and went out to the terrace to see what was happening in the streets. The wind was strong and cold. Nothing like daytime 30 degrees. It was about 20 degrees or less.

Yesterday I dread an article recounting the death of a 60+ woman who was allergic to  prawns but ate some anyway and died. I thought about my own food allergies and how many times I played with death by eating "just a little" and got sick. Sometimes the game plays you ... and it's game over.  http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/womans-decision-to-eat-prawns-despite-allergy-turns-out-to-be-fatal-mistake?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1503314835