Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sunday rest

Palm Plaza being dug up this morning
Today Sunday was a change of pace from the routine Sundays. The Armenian priest had come for a baptism so he celebrated the Armenian Mass and I didn't need to go there though he asked me to concelebrate ... and I didn't have to concelebrate the 7am Mass because I was invited to say another Mass at 11am instead with the filipino community at the Salesian Monastery. It was very very hot to walk uphill for 2 km to get there ... it took me an hour. And coming home at 1pm was even worse. The ground was so hot I wanted to remove my shoes as my feet were burning.

Full moon over
Damascus Gate
On my way to the Salesian place, I had to pass by Palm Plaza and was shocked to find that it was blocked off and bulldozers were digging up the ground. Trees on both sides of Damascus Gate were chopped off and the ground was also dug up. It looks like the govt. is implementing its decision to beef up security by building security towers for soldiers and flattening the surrounding land so police cars can drive through to Damascus Gate. What an awful and ugly sight this will be.

People are talking of more tensions if these security measures are taken ... it seems more provocative than deterrent. But you never know ... this City is famous for surprises. And all I want is a quiet nice summer holiday which I never had for the past 14 years. Is it too much to ask? some peace and tranquility so people can walk about safely without getting stabbed or shot?

The founder of the "Jewish Taliban" where women cover themselves in burqas like Taliban women was found drowned in a Mexico river. Israeli police are reminding people that it's an extremist cult illegal in Israel. But I still see women all covered up walking through the Old City as well as in the ultra-orthodox neighbourhood.     http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/americas/1.800284