Friday, July 28, 2017

Quiet Friday

Nablus Road is closed off
After yesterday's violence where over 90 plus wounded, the Police were taking no chances today. They closed the whole of East Jerusalem. The 3 Gates of the Muslim Quarter were all closed off and even roads outside the Old City were closed off. It was severe. Nablus Road that leads directly to Damascus Gate had 2 metal barriers just 15 meters apart. I had to go out early in the morning through all the barriers and when I got home at 9am ... the roads remained empty except for lots of soldiers and police. A couple of tourists were walking about, as usual, totally oblivious to the tension in the air. Most shops were closed. Only those selling food and veggies were open and local residents were buying up in view of a possible lockdown again.

Damascus Gate is totally empty
Entries to the AL Aqsa Mosque were also heavily guarded. Over men over 50 yrs were allowed to enter. Women on the other hand had free movement. From our rooftop we could see that the Al Aqsa esplanade was very empty. Noonday prayers passed off without incident ... as there were hardly anyone in the streets. However outside in Musrara and other areas of the Territories like Jericho, Hebron, Bethlehem and Qalandya were all wrecked with vicious clashes. Don't know how many were wounded. But like I said, inside our Muslim Quarter it was calm ... which is good for everyone. I don't like tear gas floating into my room. It chokes me and provokes severe asthmatic reactions. I could possibly die from that.

Austrian Hospice/3rd Station junction
totally blocked off
I decided to stay home after this morning early errand ... it was not worth the trouble of getting locked out of the City. The Archbishop was in contact with me most of the late morning. We were classmates 25 years back. And due to the clashes yesterday and warnings from the Police, none of our students showed up at the library so I decided to close it by noon. That left me with a half day free to catch up with some important work. And sleep was catching up on me ... I managed to sleep half an hour and it felt so good. In the evening at 6pm I went up to the other library through the alleys that were opened to do some chores and then returned in an hour ... scared that the Police might close off the streets again before the 7.45 prayer. It was extremely hot and I felt so exhausted walking uphill and down. I'm going to sleep early tonight. I deserve it.

Here are some news and videos of today in the Old City:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4995584,00.html
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.803958
http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Israeli-Police-on-high-alert-ahead-of-Friday-prayers-at-Temple-Mount-501023
and here's a good analysis of the situation
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4995536,00.html