Friday, July 21, 2017

Clashes

El Wad street was totally closed
The clashes came as expected today. Thousands of muslims who came in buses from all around the country tried to surround the Mosque but the police stopped them from entering the Old City. The roads surrounding East Jerusalem were then blocked by these muslims as they sat down and began praying.  Despite reports that talks were underway last night for a compromise regarding the removal of the metal detectors, early this morning it was broadcast that the detectors will remain. Undoubtedly this would cause more tensions. I had some friends from the other cities calling me to stay indoors as it would be dangerous outside. However I had to bring some clothes and donations to M. Teresa's sisters so I went out as early as possible. The streets by then were already blocked and there were hundreds of police and metal barriers every 20 meters from my place to Damascus Gate. They let me go through but when I had to return home, the soldiers at El Wad street said it was not allowed. I had to go north toward the Holy Sepulchre and then turn back south along the 7th Station of the Cross in order to get home. I could see they were really expecting big trouble. The City streets were empty except for some foolish tourists and local residents ... mostly the elderly who needed to buy necessities like medicine and food.

100s of soldiers in
our street 
Anticipating huge clashes, the Israeli Defense Force mobilised 5 battalions to control the situation. Thousands of muslim protesters will be met with thousands of Israeli soldiers. Muslims from outside Jerusalem heard that the Old City would be closed today so many came last night to camp over so they would not be locked out today.  http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4992026,00.html

Muslims praying in
our street because
they refuse to enter
Al Aqsa Mosque
After noon prayers the clashes began. I could hear stun grenades and tear gas being fired at Herod's Gate as well as down towards the Garden of Gethsemane. Then the shots were heard inside the street of Herod's Gate Ascent which runs behind our house. Inside the Al Aqsa compound lots of tear gas and stun grenades were also fired many times. The village lower down the valley Ras al Amud also saw some very violent clashes. The rioters then moved down to the Kidron Valley towards the village of Wadi Jooz. There were clashes also in Jericho, Bethlehem, Hebron, Tulkarm and Qalandya. I guess tonight the clashes will re-ignite. My students at St. Anne's Church were locked in as they live directly in front of where the clashes take place. I'm luckily further up the road and the violence does not come up because the rioters know they cannot escape due to all the streets being blocked. So thankfully the violence occurs outside the City walls.

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Clashes-in-Jerusalem-following-noon-prayer-500322