Thursday, July 27, 2017

More and worse violence

Stand off at
Bab Hutta
Even as I am writing, Tear gas and stun reengages are being fired 50 metres in front of our house, 20 metres left go our house and 70 metres behind our house. Thousands and thousands of muslims were running up our street chanting and throwing stones because clashes occurred in the Al Aqsa compound and 41 were wounded. Literally thousands blocked out streets in anger and violence. Border Police began firing tear gas and stun grenades in our street and the surrounding alleys. It was total chaos ... something right out of the Intifada days. And it's only 4.30pm. I can't imagine the violence at 9.30pm after the last prayers. It will be dreadful.

I was caught up in it as I was just going out to M. Teresa's convent. Our doorman had closed our gates for safety and I had closed our library. However getting out into our street was a horror as waves of muslims were running the other direction chanting and calling for blood. I was carrying a huge bag of medicines for the sisters and could not run. Just had to fight my way through 200 meters to get to the sisters' convent. After that I still had to go up to the other monastery to get a job done because I forgot it this morning. Then I rushed back home ... praying that the police didn't blockade our street. Thankfully it was opened. People were distributed Coca Cola and sandwiches to the protesters that had gathered at Austrian Hospice entrance.

Distributing free
sandwiches and
coke
The whole irony of this violence is that the Israelis had removed all metal detectors and security cameras as the muslims demanded. At noon the Grand Mufti declared that muslims can now enter the Al Aqsa to pray. But at 4pm as the crowds entered for the 4.30pm prayer, stones and bottles were thrown and the police responded with crowd dispersal means. It's been a running battle till now ... even as I write. I can hear south, chants and screams outside. Lots and lots of tear gas and stun grenades fired in the Al Aqsa compound and Herod's Gate.

I guess tomorrow we'll have a lockdown in our Quarter ... not looking forward to it but I'm ready this time. Bought my medicines and food.

Here are some links on news on this clash:
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.803784
http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Thousands-of-Palestinians-return-to-Temple-Mount-as-security-measures-removed-500927
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4995269,00.html
http://www.timesofisrael.com/clashes-erupt-at-temple-mount-as-muslim-worshipers-return-to-site/