Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Reflections in the heat

Women carrying
their wares into
the Old City
This morning was a lot cooler than the past few days. It was cloudy and the breeze was constant. But by noon the heat was back ... in the mid 30s. As I was panting and heaving climbing up the stairs of Damascus Gate to get to work (I had a couple of meetings earlier in the morning at my other work place), I noticed the many men and boys pushing their carts heavy with goods. They help transport goods in and out of the Old City as it is not accessible to cars. Under this dreadful heat, and pushing 80 kg carts stacked with food or goods, they must really be having a difficult time. Yet they earn only 50 shekels each trip. And you don't hear them complain. It's something they must do to earn a living. Life is not easy for many. I am particularly touched by a young blind arab man who sits, literally crouches, at Damascus Gate selling toothbrushes. He never calls out to sell his wares. He just holds a box up with one hand while crowds walk pass him. He eats nothing nor goes to the toilet, just sitting there for 5 or 6 hours a day. I would really like to help him but because of so many arabs milling around him, I'm afraid they may rob him when I walk away. Once he was robbed and had no money to take the bus home. He was crying in the street. I felt so bad not being able to help him because people will only rob him again if they know I gave him money. And the worse is those thieves are his brother muslims. Shame.

The jewish man suspected of burning the Church of the Multiplication of Loaves and Fish was found guilty by the Court but his accomplice was released without charge. This after 2 years that it was perpetrated. Now we'll have to see if that guy will actually serve jail term. You can be sure his rabbi is gathering support for his release and appeal.  http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.799246

Still on Court cases, the High Court has ruled against the demolition of 3 jewish murderers' homes after finding them guilty of beating and burning alive a 16 yr old arab. When an arab commits an act of terrorism, their houses are immediately demolished and the whole family is forced to move out without compensation. But in this case the perpetrators are jewish. Arabs and leftwing jews are crying that there are double standards in the law.  http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.799450

Tomorrow night the Festival of Lights ends, but many other concerts will be taking place throughout the City. Summer is never dull here. The fear of course is that all these events help to distract people from seeing and thinking and acting for justice and charity.