Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Riots

Arab shops all closed
in protest
Rioting yesterday in East Jerusalem and the Territories. A palestinian prisoner had died of cancer and the Palestinians are accusing Israel of not providing medical care. Israel on the other hand had wanted to release him on learning of his terminal cancer but the bureaucracy held up the process. The demonstrations at Damascus Gate was bad. We could hear the shoutings even from our home. Israeli soldiers fired stun grenades, ambulances were racing not only in the main streets outside the City but even inside the Old City along the Way of the Cross.

Today all arab shops remained closed on strike. It was like back in the Intifada days. I wonder how long this standoff will hold.

Bruised and swollen
Yesterday was a terribly frustrating day I had to stop everything and supervise the workers. Frustrating because they refused to do what I wanted. Result I had to do everything on my own while the 5 arabs stood by watching, drinking coffee and smoking. Now my hands are all bruised and swollen. Sometimes I think that with this type of attitude, they really need Israeli hardhandedness to wake them up. How in the world can they run their own country when they can't even do a job as told? I was wishing the riot police out at Damascus Gate could make a detour to my place .......