Sunday, April 21, 2013

More rain

Enormous and fragrant roses from
a Beit Jallah private garden
The weather is still miserable though we know that it's good for farmers and crops ... certainly for roses. I saw some roses in a private garden in Beit Jallah today - incredibly large blossoms, larger than two fists. And the fragrance was so strong the garden seemed to be enveloped by it.

It's been raining the whole night and mostly during the day as well. The sky is constantly dark and the wind is gusty and biting cold. Winter clothes are back out, summer clothes are back in the cupboard. The canaries are well and warm indoors now that 2 babies have died from the cold. I hope the 3 surviving babies will make it, and the other nest will hatch soon.

But the weather did not dampen the first ever Palestine Marathon in Bethlehem. I was at the route and saw the water-stops and police guiding the lanes. Because Bethlehem is encircled by the Security Wall, it is not possible to run the 40 km in one single direction. Instead the route led from Manger Square to El Khader (the next village) and then back again twice over.

Israeli airline crew have gone on strike today. Most flights from Ben Gurion airport were cancelled. For those stuck in the airport in this miserable weather ... I'm sure roses were no consolation and definitely the last thing on their minds.