Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Independence Day

Yesterday was Independence Day  - Israel was 65 yrs old. The fly-pass over the Presidential Palace was cancelled because of bad weather in Jerusalem. It was very cloudy, strong gusty winds, cold and drizzling. But ground celebrations continued as planned.   http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/nearly-a-million-israelis-celebrate-independence-day-outdoors-despite-blustery-weather.premium-1.515821

Students handing in their
thesis to the Principal
The celebrations in Tel Aviv was alot more successful - both fly-pass and sail-pass went ahead while thousands gathered around the beaches to watch and cheer. I missed that. For the past few years Independence Day was a day off for me ... I'd spend overnight at my community in Jaffa, wake up late and from my window of the room, watch the parade and celebrations. Absolutely fabulous and relaxing. This year I had classes. What a let-down. I was not at all enthusiastic. I had been working overtime for the past week, waking up at 3am and finishing work at 10.30 pm. I'm utterly exhausted. Well ... I just can't have everything I guess. But as a consolation I joined my past students as they handed in their final year thesis before graduation. Four years ago they were freshies whom I taught ... insecure and fearful. Now they're confident, outspoken and intelligent. I was proud. Right now just received news that there were explosions in Eilat ... these students are just on their way there ... hope they're ok.

The massive earthquake in Iran/Pakistan was felt as far as the UAE yesterday; and the Boston Marathon massacre was awful. Signs of the time .... the world is going crazy.