Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mother's Day

Kids on holiday today
In Palestine and the arab world, Mother's Day is celebrated on March 21st. Today school children seem to have a holiday. Shops selling flowers, guys buying them for their mothers. Kitsch toys and souvenirs for Mothers' Day pack the shops in the streets - all made in China. Well I guess its a good excuse for people to take a break from the tensions and war. Let them enjoy.

The elbow epicondylitis is crippling me as I can no longer hold moderate-weight objects. The brace helps but it cuts off circulation of the blood if I wear it for too long. I'm definitely not going to a physio as it'll cost an arm and a leg. But I also need it to heal fast. Any remedies you can suggest?

Tourist group at the museum
I was surprised to find the Damascus Gate museum has reopened. It used to be the City Gate and military post of Aelia Capitolina (the romanised city of Jerusalem in 130 AD). I remember it had several chambers, exhibiting artifacts from that era. I should go back and have a look ... it might have new stuff in there.

A very sad scene on the Mount of Olives today - the 3 french killed in the Toulouse shooting were buried here: Rabbi Sandler and his two sons aged 3 and 6. I can't imagine the sheer and awful distress of Mrs Sandler whose world has turn upside down. She lost her entire family. What a terrible day for her... on Mother's Day.