Iraqi christians have demonstrated in the streets of Baghdad to call for protection from the European Union. http://www.straitstimes.com:80/BreakingNews/World/Story/STIStory_602957.html
But sadly I don't think the West is interested. When the US attacked Iraq in 2003, I was interviewed by a news agency regarding what will result from this siege: having been to Iraq and visited the Christian Quarter of Baghdad, my first response was "The Christians will suffer." I am right. The Christians have suffered and are still suffering. I feel sad for all the Iraqi religious who are now living here and around the Holyland - they have families still back in Iraq, persecuted and fearful.
Last night I went out for dinner with Osvalda our librarian. It's been a long time since we went out to catch up with the latest happenings - alot of memories of Fr. Lino. We had a simple dinner of kababs round the corner of Jaffa Gate - at a small christian restaurant. After that we went back to Casa Nova and had ice cream with the superior Fr Raffaele and a visiting bishop. I restricted myself to a small piece. Then on my way home I passed through Damascus Gate. It was bustling with activity. Lights were strung from outside to inside the Gate, vendors crowding every conceivable space selling anything and everything. It was very festive and exciting. Tonight begins the muslim feast of the Sacrifice - Al Adha. I think it will last for 3 days.
Tourists continue to flock here in the thousands. Good economically, a disaster for locals living in the cramp Old City. Tiny streets and alleys are not meant to carry thousands of people each hour and locals are feeling extremely frustrated by guides who stop in the middle of streets explaining this and that. Traffic is totally blocked and tempers flare ever so often. The groups are totally oblivious to the local community; they occupy the entire street taking photos and eating and chatting, causing so much noise and litter. And as I discovered yesterday evening, they even steal .... some of the plants I planted in our courtyard. Several geraniums and alyssums were totally lifted up from their beds and spirited away. I bought 43 pots of those plants and planted them 5 days ago. What will tourists do next? Stealing plants from a sanctuary.