Monday, November 8, 2010

Fr. Lino Cignelli R.I.P.

It was all so sudden. We were all at the Immaculata Hall at St. Saviour's this morning for the opening lecture of our school year by Bishop Bruno Forte. I was sitting at the end, the last seat, with Fr Johnny. Fr Lino came down the aisle and joked to me, tapping me on my shoulder - the last place will be the first, he said, it is the place of service. Then he moved up to the row in front of me and spoke to Eusebio. Then he collapsed on the ground. I rushed to catch him but was too late. Eusebio tried to raise him up but I said to let him lie where he was. His lips were turning purple. Someone was shouting to Sergei to come as he knows first aid. But I could see Fr Lino was not breathing and tried to force open his mouth - he was biting his tongue. It was so rigid, he bit through my fingers. Luai came and both of us continued to try opening his mouth. Sergei started massaging the heart. We couldn't breath into his lungs as his mouth was tight shut and the tongue was blocking the way. He turned blue. After half an hour, he was gurgling and Sergei said it was the end. There was nothing we could do or knew what to do. By the time the nurses came down from the infirmary, it was past half an hour. Fr Lino died. I was holding his head all the while. I made the sign of the cross on his forehead and kissed it.

Fr Lino was my professor of Greek 18 years ago. And although he was retired, he continued to follow my research. In fact I go to see him every week as we analyse the text of my research together.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord; May perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.