Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Traffic jam

I see from the Jerusalem Post that traffic yesterday in the New City was a nightmare due to the construction of the light-rail system. See http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1215331191360&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull It's a necessary evil I guess (2 years of construction!) because it attempts to solve the congestion, heat and safety of Jerusalem's inhabitants as well as the swelling number of tourists.

Today the sisters serving in our monastery celebrate their patron feastday - Our Lady of Mercy. They sang (only 2 left in the community!) very well during Mass. I guess they'll have lots of guests (Polish of course) today streaming in.

Meanwhile health is a big thing in our community now. I think eventually we'll have a little grp who'll take a brisk walk after dinner around the city (2kms - 4kms) just to stay healthy..... unless we get mugged, of course! My BP has been 130 over 85 this entire week. And my nose has been bleeding for 2 days now despite using the nasal spray. In fact it was yesterday when I was working on my paper when suddenly I found my table and shirt splashed with blood from my nose - no warning! The local doc has no idea what's happening. I think it's the BP gone up and blew a capillary.

Anyway back to work .... the silence of the library is great. Only the doctoral students are left - we don't have holidays (unofficially) as we're very pressed for time to finish our papers and use of the library. Talk about tension. Talked to Fr Vincenzo 2 days back and he's asking me to help out in Cairo. Like I can't even help myself here!