Friday, August 22, 2008

fireworks

Ramadan is round the corner. The muslim quarter is getting ready for the great fast - and feast (after sunset). I know they make good ktayif (sort of pancake with cheese or walnuts) during this period so I'm looking forward to it. Also yesterday Nadia (asst. cook) made sfiha (arab pizza with lamb-meat) that I like very much too. However I've lost my appetite and ate only 2 (They're pretty small - like 5cm across). All the other guys egged me to take more but I just can't eat. I throw up.

So Ramadan is coming round - yesterday night fireworks everywhere which initially scares me because it sounds like gunfire. My first reaction is to close the windows and lay low. Am getting paranoid.

The weather has changed as well. The day is hot as ever. But by 5pm a cool breeze blows, pretty strong breeze too. In the mornings it gets very humid and it feels like it will rain ... but this disappears like a shadow when the sun comes up. Summer is fading and autumn is creeping in quietly but early. Soon the leaves will fall.