Saturday, July 12, 2008

Living in the Holyland

Yesterday was as usual hot. Ousama (my classmate 15 years back in Jerusalem) called me out for lunch so I went out at 1pm but forgot it was crazy Friday - Damascus Gate was packed with people going to the mosque. I managed to get out and walked up to New Gate where Ousama works at the Pontifical Missions Office. It was hot and I had a headache. But anyway we walked back to Damascus Gate (that's where St. Paul went out to persecute the Christians) and onto the Legacy Hotel. Lunch was fantastic as usual because the Legacy is simply great with service and the food is exquisitely done. Well we caught up with alot of chat, and he married Claudette and has 2 kids now. I met Claudette 15 years back when she was a student and she called Ousama during lunch to ask me to go visit their home. yes I will ..... but maybe later in the year. Man Ousama was just 19 years old back in 1993 and now he's got white-hair. Aiya .... age is catching up on everyone.

Got back home to do some work. Actually I wanted to sleep but I remembered I had to do something for the superior. Oh and I found Jihad on facebook and wrote him - and he replied. Fantastic! On the otherhand Ziad and William have disappeared from the face of the earth! Habibi, mish mabsuut!!!!

Once in a while it hits me like a tonne of bricks that I am living in the place where IT all took place - where gospel-writers wrote about, christians died for, warriors fought for, saints sacrificed for .... here in Jerusalem, where it all happened. It is so awesome ... it's dumbfounding. Today's reading from the Gospel of Matthew reminds us that we are being sent like "sheep among wolves". that's exactly what I feel living here. The Gospel tells us of the persecutions Christians will face "scourged, dragged before governors....." it all sounds so familiar here today. It is not easy, believe me, to be a Christian in the Holyland. but it is a challenge. If they did that to the Christ, the same will happen to Christians. "Brother will betray brother to death; and the father his child. You will be hated by all men".