Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Figs are out!

It is sooooo hot today! I just want to melt.

And very frustrating as well because I couldn't connect to my video-conferencing class so had to cancel it. You guys who know this kind of stuff, go help out and see what went wrong at the Bible Centre! Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Anyway this morning I went off to Terra Santa College and continue working on some recordings. It was good to meet the bunch as I haven't seen them for over a month. They're a great team to work with. As usual we'd banter alot. Before I got home for lunch, I stopped by the Jewish supermarket opposite Terra Santa College (it actually is a huge monastery now and no longer functions as a secondary school) and bought some beansprouts. They cost alot here - like HK$10 for 500 grams. But I felt like eating some because of the heat - veggies taste better and cooler. I really didn't think I could walk back 2 km in the heat, so George our do-it-all guy here at Terra Santa College drove me back to the New Gate of the Old City.

The summer figs are now out - big, purple, juicy figs. It cost 20 shekels (HK$40) per kilo (I'm sure that was MY price while the locals will buy it for a cheaper rate). Anyway got a kilo and a half. Will share it at dinner.

Hosea's message this morning makes the connection between the rich and idolatry - the richer they become, the more they want to adorn the idols. The Israelites have forgotten who gave them the riches - Yahweh and not the idols. So God will destroy the idol altars. Then comes the exhortation "Sow integrity for yourselves! Reap a harvest of kindness! Break up your fallow ground! It is time to go seeking the Lord!" Hosea likens integrity and kindness as farming - it's something you must work hard for - to sow and reap. It is a process. It must be sowed, watered, grown and mature and then harvested. I think alot of our modern societies need integrity and kindness - but it doesn't come like instant noodles! We have to work hard for it.