Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back again

Got back this morning to Jerusalem after a 20 hour tiring journey from Dar es Salaam to Tel Aviv. I had a lot of extra luggage to carry (books and gifts from other delegates) but luckily Fr Kamil of Egypt was on the same flight with me to Addis Ababa so he helped me carry my stuff. He's really very nice and very intelligent - professor of Old Testament. The Missionaries of Charity (Mother Theresa's sisters) in Dars came to see me on the 2nd day of the Assembly. When I got back to Jerusalem this morning I called the sisters here - they have been praying very hard everyday that nothing happens to me healthwise - to say that I'm ok and I didn't have any asthma attacks except that my BP was pretty high over 80 each day. Anyway Fr Kamil said we can say "no" to other congregations but never to Mother Theresa's sisters because they undertake the most unpleasant work and show great courage and perseverance. So I brought 3 large packs of cashew nuts back to them in Jerualem - gifts from the sisters in Dars.

There's so much to share with you but I need to rest now. WIll fill you guys up with snippets later. Anyway it was a very educative trip to Dar es Salaam and we delegates worked hard during the Plenary Assembly of the Catholic Biblical Federation. The conpanionship was great. Thanks to

1. Jeannie, Tim and Nick (Catholic Bible Movement youth) for the great fun and late night chats
2. Stan & Richard (Tanzanian seminarians)
3. The Masai boys (Novatus, Amadeus, "Masai", sacristan boy, Christina & the gang of TEC)
4. The Upanga group (password "masai masai!")
5. The Korean delegates (real fun especially Fr Michael)
6. Msgr Daniel, Femi and the African delegation
7. The Magdalene of Canossa and Jude Thaddeus groups for their hospitality
8. Anna and the reception gang at John Paul II Centre
9. The hardworking team of CBF (Dorothee, Andrea, Bettina, Sister, Bartholomew etc...)
And many many others who made Dar es Salaam such a wonderful and eye-opening session.