Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Stromata

Carrying a huge bread
Imagine we're already in the 2nd week of July. Half the year is gone. Where has all that time gone? I bumped into several neighbourhood kids from way back in the 90s ... they were barely in their teens back then, in the middle of the 1st Intifada. Now they're all married with kids of their own. All of them have moved out of their parents' houses in the Old City, living in other towns and cities and villages. It's always good to catch up with old friends, but it also shows how quickly time has passed. 

I'm glad my confusion over days and times is over. At least for now. It's Tuesday today, I have a few appointments. Same for tomorrow. So far the brain is working until the next malfunction. And that reminds me .. I need to do a full body checkup soon as scheduled by my insurance doctors. They'll send me a message a few days in advance. Problem is they don't specify which doctor I've the appointment with ... my cardiologist, my family doctor, my dietician, my allergist. On the other hand I'm glad my insurance provides me with all these specialists who follow up on my health every few months. 

This morning I saw an Ethiopian woman carrying a huge round bread on her head, on her way presumably to the Ethiopic Church in the New City. People bake eucharistic bread at home and offer them to the Church to be served as the eucharist. Those that are not used in the liturgy are broken and shared after the liturgy ... as anti-doron (in greek).

Summer rolls on ... we're expecting a flare-up of fighting up in the north. Let's hope it won't happen at all ... there's too much suffering already.