Saturday, July 13, 2024

Heatwave

Damascus Gate from a distance
I'm eating some nice tomato curry made by the MC sisters ... and I still cannot taste anything. It's 2 months since my Covid infection but I still have no sense of taste. This is dreadful. I do have fever in the mornings still, but much less frequent than before. But I'm terribly dizzy. I nearly blacked out a dozen times last week. I was wondering if it's because of the heatwave that we're experiencing, or the longterm effects of Covid. This week I've not been feeling well at all.

Yes the heatwave is hitting us hard. Though the forecast says 33 degrees, it feels like 40 degrees. The sun scorches the skin. The stone pavements and walls emit waves of heat that can be suffocating. The asphalt is equally hot. There's a visible lack of people in the streets because it's too hot to be outdoors. What everyone is fearing is ... what will happen in August ... the peak of summer? The poor people, the aged, who cannot afford aircons and fans, will die of heatstroke. It's a scary thought.