Friday, January 6, 2023

Bread

Buying bread for breakfast
Again a cold, damp, cloudy day. It drizzled again several times in the morning. I had to go buy bread at 4.30am as the sisters in the kitchen sent a message to say there's no bread left for breakfast. It's not my responsibility to buy bread but the sisters know I'll do it. Walking out to the 24/7 bakery was hazardous as the streets were very slippery. The air was very cold and many people covered their noses to avoid breathing in the cold air.

Damascus Gate at 4.30am
Yes at 4.30am the streets were crowded. It's Friday and muslims from all over the country and muslim pilgrims as well were going to the Al Aqsa for dawn prayers. But it was quite aggressive as I could hear lots of shouting and chanting in the next street behind our house. There's a reaction to an extreme right Minister who entered and toured the Al Aqsa compound as a symbol of jewish control over the place. Mind you, even orthodox rabbis have called it prohibited as it's unclear where the Holy of Holy used to be and it's sacrilegious for any jew except the High Priest to enter that area. Anyway the police expected unrest so since yesterday evening there's been a huge police presence at every corner.

The haematoma on my hand has reduced quite alot now. But I'm very careful with everything now. I wear shoes all the time outside my room to avoid hurting my feet; and I try not to carry anything heavy but my hands bruise even if I turn the door handle or hold a cup.